We all use it from time to time. Public wifi in a coffee shop, at the airport, or even at a hotel. And it’s good. But you need to be more careful when using a public WiFi hotspot.
Here are some tips to help you keep safe.
- While it’s perfectly OK to stream music, check your mail, or catch up on the news, it best to not do your banking over public WiFi.
- Try to connect to a network that uses a password for access, as opposed to one that just lets you in. At the airport, for example, connect to a coffee shop, where you are given a pass code rather than the free airport WiFi.
- If you are using your laptop, make sure that you turn off file sharing.
- When you are done, make sure to turn your devices WiFi off. This will keep your device safe, and also save a bit of battery life.
- Keep your anti-virus up to date. With all the new viruses coming out quicker than ever, make sure to update you anti virus package and definitions on a regular basis.